Research & Image Requests
Seward House Museum Collections Department Access Policies
The Seward House Museum Collections Department is open for use by appointment only to scholars, students and researchers. All collections objects, including books and manuscripts, must be examined in the collections viewing area and cannot be loaned out without written approval from the Seward House Museum collections staff and administration. All collections objects are kept in a secure area and collections patrons need to ask for a specific item that is then brought out to them in the viewing room. Materials are available for use at the discretion of collections staff and may be restricted because of fragility or poor condition.
Making an Appointment
Due to limited facilities and occasional high demand, it is important for all patrons to contact the collections department ahead of time and make an appointment.
Seward House Museum – 315-252-1283
Collections Room Policies and Procedures
- Security and preservation standards are observed at all times. Collections patrons must comply with the following procedures during their visit. Collections staff will recall objects if improper use or intent to damage is observed. Patrons who do not follow Seward House Museum collection policies will be asked to leave the facility.
- All patrons must complete a registration form upon arrival at the Collections Department patrons must present identification and sign the log each day they come to use Special Collections Department materials.
- No coats, umbrellas, packages, or briefcases are permitted into the viewing room. Secure areas are available to store personal belongings.
- A request form must be completed for each object and presented to collections staff for retrieval.
- Materials are brought to the patrons by collections staff. No more than three items may be used at a time.
- Only pencils/paper or personal computers may be used to take notes. Collections materials may not be written on, altered, leaned on, folded, traced, or otherwise stressed.
- Bookstands and weights are available upon request.
- Photocopy and reproduction requests are approved by the collections staff. All photocopying is performed by staff only. Materials in poor condition might not be approved for photocopying. Collections staff can arrange for photography and readers may also arrange for their own photography with permission from collections staff.
- No Collections Department materials may leave the viewing room without written approval from the Seward House Museum collections staff.
- Each item must be returned to the collections staff before a patron leaves the viewing area. Items may be reserved for a limited time by arrangement with staff.
*The Seward House Museum reserves the right to refuse any research request
Photocopying & Reproduction Services
Photocopies and scans can be made from Collections Department objects if they are in good enough condition to withstand the handling. Materials in poor condition might not be approved for copying. Copy requests are approved by the collections staff and all photocopying and scanning is done by staff only. The charge for photocopies is 25 cents per page and high resolution reproductions require a $50 processing fee.
Research Request Contact Form
Our research fee is $20/hour with a minimum one hour charge, payable by credit, debit, or check. This fee is waived for students. Our reproduction fee is a flat $50 processing fee for standard size objects. The Seward House Museum reserves the right to charge additional use fees for items not placed in the public domain and objects of larger than average size.